After more than three years of the simplest teaching by the greatest of all teachers, the disciples had to be rebuked for their unbelief and hardness of heart (Luke 24:13-27). Jesus would not have them conclude that He was just a good man and a great teacher and prophet, He rebuked them for not believing that He is God. So you cannot be a follower of Christ without first understanding and believing in this truth and and accepting it as fact. It is one thing to understand this but to believe it is another thing. And it is the requirement for salvation.
““What things?” Jesus asked. “The things that happened to Jesus, the man from Nazareth,” they said. “He was a prophet who did powerful miracles, and he was a mighty teacher in the eyes of God and all the people.”
Luke 24:19 NLT
The man from Nazareth they referred to Him. They were showing pity for him instead of rejoicing that the savior has transitioned into His eternal glory.
How shall they believe in Him if they have not heard of Him. And how shall they hear of Him if there is no preacher, and how shall they preach if they are not sent (Romans 10:11-18)
What does it mean to hear of Jesus? What is the message? And what is true preaching?
Note: Even when it’s done right not everyone will welcome the idea that Jesus is God and the only savior of mankind from the doom we are in.
Steps for effective evangelism are as follows:
1. We have to be sent: All believers already have been sent by reason of the Great Commission and secondly a faithful believer can be sent with a specific “rhema” word for a specific person in time for a unique encounter with God. This is the exception. Ananias was sent with a specific mission to minister to Paul by divine revelation. This is what some call Treasure Hunting. Praying for someone and developing a burden to preach to a colleague or friend can lead to this kind of special ministration where the Holy Spirit grants you words made specifically for that person’s attention and also prepares their heart for it.
2. We have to Preach: We have to preach what we have heard from Him, the message about Jesus’ Lordship and sacrifice.
3. They have to hear or understand intellectually what is being preached or communicated: They cannot assume they know what you are talking about. The gospel and its demands must be understood before true repentance can occur.
4. They have to believe: Believing what is being preached is necessary for salvation. Don’t just hear, take action by committing and affirming to that truth and fact.
5. Call on Him: Begin to profess faith in Jesus and regard Him as your God and Savior. Take on His teachings and reorder your life and lifestyle to His teachings.
What is the message to be heard or preached? Paul asked the question if the Israelites really understood the message being preached that’s Jesus is not just a mere prophet but that He is the promised Messiah whom the Jews have been waiting for. There is only one God and one mediator between God and men, the Man Jesus Christ (1 Timothy 2:4-6).
December 16, 2018
December 29, 2019